Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Crockpot Pork Chops and Rice

This is one of my favorite recipes.  It's simple and so good.  Be forewarned that it is very high in salt.  It most definitely doesn't follow the new salt guidelines. LOL  It probably doesn't follow the old ones either.  If you want to cut the salt some, use the Campbells' Healthy Request version of the soup instead.  Don't add water to cut the salt though; it will affect the taste too much.  But it is easy with very few ingredients.

Ingredients:
Crock pot- I use my 3.5 qt one for this.
4 Boneless pork chops about 3/4" thick (I buy my pork chops from Costco- they are incredibly thick so I end up slicing 2 in half to make the 4)
4-5 cans Campbell's Chicken with Rice Soup (If you can find them, you can use 2 of the family sized cans instead)
2 tsp olive oil
Mrs. Dash or other seasoning for the pork chops
Potatoes (not shown- optional)

1. If using extra thick pork chops, slice in half.  Heat oil in skillet.

2.  Season one side of pork chops.

3.  Once oil is heated, place pork chops, seasoned side down in skillet.  Cook for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned on one side.  You aren't cooking the pork chops all the way in the skillet.

4.  While the first side is cooking, season the other side of the pork chops.

5.  Flip and brown other side of pork chops.

6. Pour 1-2 cans in the bottom of crock pot.  Do NOT add water to the condensed soup!

7.  Layer the browned pork chops on top.

8. Pour the remaining 2-3 cans of soup over the crock pot. Again, do NOT add water.  At this point you could also add some extra vegetable like carrots.  Peas would also go well with this, but would probably need to be added later so they didn't get soggy and nasty.

 
 9.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until pork chops are done.  They should be fork tender and not need any knife.  I like to serve them over baked potatoes.  But I forgot to get a picture of the finished product.  

This is a popular meal in my family.  My mom has been making it since I was a kid.  Even Caroline likes it though she doesn't eat it on a potato.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment